We are so excited to announce our new charity of choice, Homeless Youth Connection. (HYC)
Penrose Academy enjoys giving back to the community in any way we can. Usually, we do this by holding multiple fundraisers throughout the year, with all proceeds going to one specific charity. Picking a charity is no easy task, but once we met Dawn from HYC, we knew we had found the one.
Dawn is the Development and Marketing Manager for Homeless Youth Connection. The passion Dawn has for this organization radiates every time she speaks, and it showed when she spoke to our students earlier this month at one of our assemblies. We caught up with Dawn and asked her to give some insight into Homeless Youth Connection and how we can support them.
Tell us a little about Homeless Youth Connection.
Homeless Youth Connection (HYC) was founded in 2010 to meet the needs of homeless youth who wish to remain in high school but may be forced to drop out because they lack a safe or stable home. Beginning with one high school, HYC has expanded to serve more than 130 schools throughout Maricopa County and the City of Flagstaff. A 501(c)(3) organization, HYC serves youth experiencing homelessness between the ages of 13 and 21. Our mission is to eliminate barriers to graduation for homeless youth and create lasting solutions for a successful future through community support and increased awareness. HYC’s vision is that homelessness will not limit a youth’s opportunity for a successful future.
What is the best way someone can support Homeless Youth Connection?
Homeless Youth Connection (HYC) provides youth experiencing homelessness with essential needs, case management, housing if needed, life skills and mentors to ensure they have the resources to stay in school, complete their education and have a chance at a brighter future. With the community’s help, HYC is helping to bring a positive future to this nearly forgotten population. Below are a few ways to support HYC and the youth we serve.
- Host a drive
- In‐kind donations are essential for HYC to help youth experiencing homelessness stay in school, graduate, and thrive. We rely on individual and community in-kind donations to connect our youth with the hygiene products, school supplies, gift cards, and other resources they need.
- Become a Host Home Family
- HYC connects unaccompanied youth with caring adults from their own community who are willing to provide safe housing and support. The host family provides food and shelter, while HYC delivers case management services. The Host Family Housing program is a voluntary program for both the youth and the host family. Host families receive a stipend to help offset expenses. This program requires a screening and background check.
- Become a monthly donor
- Throughout the year, HYC works to eliminate barriers to graduation for youth experiencing homelessness and creates lasting solutions for a successful future through community support and increased awareness. With your help as a monthly donor, we can continue to eliminate those barriers as a community. A monthly gift means more consistent and timely funding. This allows HYC to better plan the use of our resources in offering critical services to homeless youth seeking help.
- Make an Arizona Charitable Tax Credit donation
- If you are a resident of Arizona, one of the easiest ways to make a difference in the lives of youth experiencing homelessness is through the Arizona Charitable Tax Credit. When you donate to HYC, you may receive a dollar-for-dollar tax credit on your AZ state return—up to $400 for individuals and $800 for those filing jointly. HYC’s Qualifying Charitable Tax Code is 20200.
Tonight, we will be holding our semi-annual Wander + Wonder event with all raffle proceeds going to HYC. Please come out and show your support! Doors open at 6:00pm.
If you are interested in learning more about HYC please check out their website https://hycaz.org/